SHUTESBURY SCHOOL COMMITTEE SCHOOL COMMITTEE POWERS AND DUTIES
The School Committee has all the powers conferred upon it by state law and must perform those duties mandated by the state. These include the responsibility and right to determine policies and practices and to employ a staff to implement its directions for the proper education of the children of the community.
The Committee takes a broad view of its functions. It sees them as:
1. Policymaking and Implementation. The Committee is responsible for the development of policy as guides for administrative action and for their implementation by the Superintendent, Principal and staff.
2. Employment of Superintendent. The Committee employs, oversees and terminates the Superintendent in accordance with the Union #28 partnership.
3. Educational Planning and Evaluation. The Committee is responsible for establishing educational goals and policies that will guide the Committee and school staff with respect to the administration and continuing improvement of the educational programs provided by the School District.
4. Finance. The Committee is responsible for adoption of a budget that will enable the School District to carry out the Committee's policies, on-going fiscal oversight and long range planning.
5. Communication and Representation. The Committee is responsible for providing adequate and direct means for keeping the community informed about the School District and for keeping itself and the School District staff informed about the needs and wishes of the public.
6. Oversight and Appraisal. The Committee is responsible for the on-going evaluation of the administrative and educational effectiveness of its policies and their implementation.
LEGALREF.: M.G.L. 71:37 specifically, but powers and duties of School Committees are established throughout the Massachusetts General Laws.
CROSS REF.: BB, School Committee Legal Status
First reading: 12-20-06
Second reading, first vote: 01-17-07
Final vote: 02-28-07