SHUTESBURY SCHOOL COMMITTEE
SCHOOL COMMITTEE OFFICERS
Duties of the Chairperson
The chairperson of the School Committee has the same powers as any other member of the Committee - to make motions for consideration by the committee, to vote upon all measures coming before it, to offer resolutions and to discuss questions. He/she will perform those duties that are consistent with his/her office and those required by law, state regulations, and this Committee. In carrying out these responsibilities, the chairperson will:
1. Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee.
2. Consult with the School Committee members, the Superintendent and the Principal in the planning of the Committee's agendas.
3. Confer with the Superintendent and the Principal on crucial matters that may occur between Committee meetings.
4. Appoint subcommittees, subject to Committee approval.
5. Call special meetings of the Committee as found necessary.
6. Represent the Committee in its official interactions with the Select Board, town
committees and other official entities.
7. Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Committee meetings.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the chairperson will:
1. Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
2. Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order.
3. Enforce the Committee's policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of
4. Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from
disturbance or interference.
5. Explain what the effect of a motion would be if this is not clear to members.
6. Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee.
7. Answer all parliamentary inquiries.
8. Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
The Chairperson will ensure compliance with state law and Committee policy regarding notification of meetings and will ensure that such reports as may be required by the state or the town are issued.
Duties of the Vice Chairperson
The Vice Chairperson of the Committee will act in the absence of the chairperson as presiding officer of the Committee and will perform such other duties as may be delegated or assigned to him/her.
The Vice Chairperson will also keep or cause to be kept an accurate journal of all Committee meetings in which all its votes, orders and proceedings shall be recorded.
LEGAL REF.: M.G.L. 71:36
First reading: 12-20-06
Second reading, first vote: 01-17-07
Final vote: 02-28-07
Revised – 03-24-11