SHUTESBURY SCHOOL COMMITTEE DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE POLICY
The School District shall provide a drug-free workplace and certifies that it will:
1. Notify all employees in writing that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of a controlled substance is prohibited on school property or off school grounds while conducting school business, and specify the actions that will be taken against employees for violation of such prohibitions.
2. Have in place a drug-free awareness program to inform employees about the dangers of drug abuse in the workplace; the District's policy of maintaining a drug-free work-place; available drug counseling, rehabilitation, and employee assistance programs; and the penalty that may be imposed on employees for drug abuse violations occurring in the workplace.
3. Make it a requirement that each employee whose employment is funded by a federal grant be given a copy of a Drug Free Workplace statement as required.
4. Notify all employees that as a condition of employment, they will abide by the terms of the Drug Free Workplace statement, and will notify the District of any criminal drug statute conviction no later than five days after such conviction. The District shall (a) notify the appropriate federal and/or state agency within ten days after receiving notice from an employee or otherwise receiving notice of such conviction. The District shall take one of the following actions within 30 days of receiving notice with respect to any employee who is so convicted: (a) take appropriate personnel action against such an employee, up to and including termination; or (b) require such employee to participate satisfactorily in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program approved for such purposes by a federal, state or local health law enforcement, or other appropriate agency.
5. Make a good faith effort to continue to maintain a drug-free workplace through implementation of all the provisions of this policy.
SOURCE: MASC LEGAL REFS.: The Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 CROSS REFS.: JICH, Drug and Alcohol Use by Students
First reading: 04-16-08
Second reading, first vote: 05-28-08
Final vote: 09-17-08