SHUTESBURY SCHOOL COMMITTEE
POLICY REGARDING SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
1. It shall be the policy of this Committee, in so far as it is possible, to employ as substitute teachers, only those who have an earned Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or hold a current Massachusetts teaching certificate.
2. In all cases, those employed as substitute teachers, must follow the hiring policies of Union #28.
3. Salary for substitute teachers hired on a daily basis are paid based on the salary schedule as approved by the school committee.
4. Salary for substitute
s teachers hired on a “long-term basis” must be certified teachers possessing current licenses and will be paid as per the negotiated teacher salary schedule on Step one for the Bachelor’s or Master’s level depending on their level of education. Exceptions to the certification requirement are at the discretion of the Superintendent.
5. Substitute teachers will be paid only for days when actual service was rendered. For a half-day of substitution, a substitute teacher will receive one-half day’s pay as indicated on the substitute teacher’s salary schedule.
6. Substitute teachers shall be required to carry out all the normal functions of the classroom teachers in maintaining the classroom instruction at an optimum level. Also, the teacher will assume such normal responsibilities as go along with building routine such as keeping attendance, organizing lunch counts, as well as performing lunchroom or playground duty.
7. Long-term substitutes (11 days plus) should not only maintain the same level of instruction in the classroom, but, under the guidance of the Principal, should initiate new projects and plans in keeping with the planned curriculum. Also, she/he will assume such normal responsibilities as go along with building routine such as keeping attendance, organizing lunch counts, as well as performing lunchroom or playground duty. The long-term substitute teacher will, if appropriate attend Special Education meetings and will, if necessary, engage in parent conferences.
Amended and FINAL: 02-11-14